We’ve amassed well over 100 hours of talks with The Marketing Meetup over the past few years from (genuinely) some of the greatest marketers in the world.
It’s a whole lot of content. So, if I was starting fresh, here is how I would use them.
Table of Contents
- If I was hoping to understand marketing in general
- If I wanted to build better strategies
- If I wanted to analyse and use my data better
- If I wanted to become a better communicator and storyteller
- If I wanted to price better and do the finance-y bit
- If I wanted to understand people and how they work better
- If I wanted to do more general self development
- If I wanted to become a better leader
- If I wanted to do the marketing tactics thing better
If I was hoping to understand marketing in general
- On the Contrary– Mark Ritson, Professor (the only non-TMM talk I’m sharing here) – For understanding a great flow of how to approach marketing: Diagnosis, Strategy, Tactics
- How to build amazing, impactful campaigns –Molly Baker, Indie Consulting and Kerry Thorpe, Ben and Jerry’s – For taking a strategy and doing the tactical bit really, really, really well
- The things I wish I had known about marketing 8 years ago – Joe Glover, The Marketing Meetup – A look back on some of the things I wish I had known when I started way back when!
If I wanted to build better strategies
- Building a business case for disruption– Stephen Kenwright and Carrie Rose, Rise at Seven – How do you get businesses to take the risks they need to, to really disrupt the market? Carrie and Stephen explain.
- How to build great customer personas – Adele Revella – Personas are a big part of how many marketers think about how to reach their customers. But a bad one can be as damaging as none at all. With this in mind, how can you build a great persona?
- How to find purpose for you and your brand – Laura McLachlan, Worldwide Cancer Research – Purpose: often spoken about – rarely understood or met. Laura share hers, and the brand of her company, and how you can find your own.
- How to acquire your first 100 customers – Asia Orangio, DemandMaven – Asia walks you through the go-to-market process for winning your first 100 customers.
- How to fix the marketing and sales funnel – Bryony Thomas, Watertight Marketing – In this session, Bryony Thomas dismantles the classic sales funnel to create a better metaphor, showing that most businesses have a worrying hole in their bucket.
- Positioning Jujitsu – How to Win Against Powerful Competitors – April Dunford, Obviously Awesome – In this session, April teaches you how smart positioning can ensure you outrun the Hordes, use the strength of the Giants against them, and bust the Ghosts by leveraging the momentum of trends.
- How to prove the value of marketing – Daniel Gilbert, Brainlabs – How can you prove the value of marketing? The founder and CEO of one of the biggest agencies in the world shares how.
- How to create beloved brands – Graham Robertson, Beloved Brands – The more love you can generate with your most cherished consumers, the more power, growth, and profit you command. So, how do you do it?
- Branding in the COVID-19 environment and beyond –Margaret Molloy, Siegel+Gale – The 2020 Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic brought into focus some of the key tenants of great brand strategy and implementation.
- How to Gain a Competitive Edge in Times of Fear & Uncertainty – Rand Fishkin, Sparktoro – Covid through up a bunch of challenges. But as marketers, how can we more generally respond to times of fear and uncertainty?
If I wanted to analyse and use my data better
- What you need to know about Google Analytics 4 and how to implement it –Mary Owusu, Sprintmarketer.com – Fear not! This webinar helps you stay on top of this big change coming to Google Analytics soon
- The where’s, what’s and how’s of data: Using data to tell stories for internal buy in andexternal storytelling – Thierry Nguteguere, Journey Further– Bringing data to life in a way that tells stories both internally and externally
- Why your website visitors are not converting – Mary Owusu, Sprintmarketer.com –Mary shares the low-hanging conversion rate optimisation tactics to help you convert better on your website
- Quantitative Market Research: How to find out what people aren’t saying – Vaughan Flood, Flood and Partners – In this talk, Vaughan Flood shares how you can find out not just what people are telling you, but also what they’re not through smart market research.
- How to use analytics to discover hidden SEO opportunities to boost your site’s traffic –Mary Owusu, sprintmarketer.com – Making the most of SEO is something we can all relate to trying to achieve. The channel is inexpensive, and it’s effective. But, it’s an art that feels shrouded in mystery. Lucky, we have Mary Owusu of Gurubound to make things clearer.
If I wanted to become a better communicator and storyteller
- How to tell stories and grow a Youtube channel – Beau Miles, YouTuber – A fab interview with an absolute hero of mine with incredible insight on communication
- How to deliver great presentations, speeches, and pitches – Max Hoppy, Bind – A masterclass in how to become better at presentations, speeches and pitches
- Storytelling School –Jeremy Connell-Waite, IBM – A master in action. What Jeremy doesn’t know about storytelling isn’t worth knowing. An incredible human.
- In a world of change, what won’t? Seven unchanging principles of communication – Tom Roach, Jellyfish – We love change in marketing. But what can you bet your house on staying the same (and therefore based your comms off?)
- How to find the right marketing messaging – Diane Wiredu, Lion Words – A masterclass from Diane in finding messaging that works for you and your company
- How to resonate more deeply with your audience – Jay Acunzo – Jay focuses on resonance, not reach. What does that mean and how can you impact your customers more deeply?
- Nine ways to have good ideas – Eddie Shleyner, Very Good Copy – Eddie is one of the world’s most popular copywriters. In this talk, he shared how he comes up with his ideas.
- Get the clarity you need to stand out – Louis Grenier, Everyone Hates Marketers – Louis is a master of positioning and helping people understand how their business can communicate what they’re really about. That’s exactly what he does in this sessions
- How to tell stories with impact – Jeremy Connell-Waite, IBM – One of the sessions that garnered the most reaction from the community. An unbelievable insight into storytelling.
- How to write engaging stories for social media – Dave Harland, The Word Man – Dave Harland has dedicated his professional life to writing great copy: and he does it so well! In this talk, Dave shares his tips and tricks for writing great copy for social media.
If I wanted to price better and do the finance-y bit
- How to break away from billable time and charge for creativity – Giles Edwards, …Gasp! – A great discussion on escaping charging for time alone
- How to create and manage a budget that helps you get your job done – Sally Farrant, Business Growth By Numbers – In this session, Sally Farrant helps us on budgeting! Takeaways on how to budget and how to avoid common budgeting problems.
- Why finance isn’t the enemy – Deepa Shah, Lab-Eight – In this webinar with Deepa Shah, we debunked some of the myths surrounding the relationship between finance and marketing.
If I wanted to understand people and how they work better
- Web accessibility: How to make your website more accessible – James Norris, Contentsquare and Tzveta Dinova, ASOS – 21% of the world’s population are considered in some way disabled. This talk helps you not leave them behind online.
- How to market sustainability without greenwashing – Louisa Holbrook, Brompton Cycle – How can we, as marketers, do better for the planet?
- How to approach neurodiversity as a marketer – Ellie Middleton – 7 practical ways to make sure you’re including the 1 in 7 people who are considered neurodiverse
- The neuroscience that helps consumers convert – Kenda MacDonald, Automation Ninjas – How do brains make decisions, and how can we as marketers make sure we’re making it easy for people to choose us and our products?
- Semiotics: What it is and why it matters – Chris Arning – What we put out into the world often has hidden meanings. So how can we as marketers be aware of these and convey the messages we wish to?
- The tyranny of logic –Rory Sutherland, Ogilvy – In this session, Rory addresses the tyranny of logic and why sometimes we just need to be a bit more magical
- How to win loyalty through two way customer relationships – Marisa Thomas, EVERPRESS – In this webinar, Marisa discusses how when you put the data down, you can start to win loyalty through two-way customer relationships.
- Hacking social media algorithms using psychology– Katy Leeson, CEO of Relentless Media – It is hard for brands to be seen by their audiences. In this talk, Katy shares the latest in Social Media Psychology that will help you to really hack the algorithm.
If I wanted to do more general self development
- Marketing during change: What have we learned and what do we want to keep? – Nishma Robb, Google – How can we as marketers operate during times of uncertainty, and how can we collectively create a future we want to be part of?
- How to manage uncertainty– Sam Conniff, Uncertainty experts – Uncertainty is hard for everyone involved. With this in mind, what can we do to understand it, and help others with uncertainty, too?
- Ten questions about the Mini MBA with Mark Ritson – Mark Ritson – An interview which started with questions about the Mini MBA and ended up going far broader, with one of the biggest voices in marketing today
- Developing confidence: levelling the field for marketers – Kirsty Hulse, ROAR – Confidence is something so many of us rarely allow ourselves. This session from Kirsty was transformative in helping believe they could achieve more than they thought possible.
- How to launch a business or project you love – Sophie Cross, Freelancer Magazine – A wonderful view into Sophie’s story of launching a project which turned into an incredible moment. Roland Rat impression also enclosed.
- Imposter syndrome. Stop Faking it. – Sahana Sekaran, Contentsquare – One of the most regularly cited TMM talks of all time. Almost everyone feels imposter syndrome – in this session, Sahana gives us an amazing exploration at this unwelcome feeling.
- How to be a better listener – Oscar Trimboli – Oscar is a bona fied world leader in listening. In this session, he shared how to stop listening to what your clients managers and teams are saying, and instead reaaaally understand them
- The value of creativity in marketing– Giles Edwards and Ryan Wallman – As marketers, the word ‘brave’ has entered our vocabulary when it comes to our work. But is this warranted? Is there a better way to speak about how we take risks in our roles?
- How mental health affected the growth of my business – James Routledge, Sanctus – James Routledge is a man on a mission. That mission is to put the world’s first mental health gym’s on the high street and inspire people to work on their mental health proactively, like we do with physical health.
- What’s the point? – Sherilyn Shackell, The Marketing Academy – How do you find meaning in your life? What’s the point in all of this? Sherilyn Shackell, of The Marketing Academy, is one of the most impressive people we know. A former recruiter who was living her life for reasons that didn’t line up with her values, a serious illness turned things around.
- 10 habits for a healthier brain, and how to remember them – Jordan Harry – We don’t prioritise mental health as much as we do physical health. So, what can we do to make sure we’re making the most of our brains: keeping them in tip top shape?
- How they teach you to be creative at Google– Max Hoppy, Bind – An ex-Googler shares how they taught him and his colleagues to be creative.
- Persuasion and negotiation attitudes, skills and techniques for marketers– John Moss & Chris Smith, JA Consulting – We negotiate every single day whether we know it or not. Knowing how to navigate these kind of scenarios is an absolute super power, but it’s not something we examine often – even to the point of many folks being actively uncomfortable in these scenarios. This session explores persuasion and negotiation.
If I wanted to become a better leader
- How to get the wider company on board with marketing – Bryony Thomas and Rachael Wheatley, Watertight Marketing – Getting the rest of the team on board with marketing is difficult. So, how can you do it?
- The choices we make – Sarah Warby, CCO of Nando’s – Sarah Warby has one of the most impressive CVs in marketing. We asked her to come and speak about the choices she’d made that have got her to where she is today, but also the lessons she has learned along the way.
- How to be a good mentor, mentee, or both – An amazin’ panel – Mentorship is so important, but how do you do it well? How about being a good mentee? That’s what this session is all about!
- From Nike to the Olympic Games: Q&A with the Head of Marketing for the Olympic Games – Matt McKie – Matt’s career is enviable to say the least. Taking him around the world to some of the coolest companies and organisations around – we got an hour with Matt to chat about what he’s learned so far.
- What does it take to build a successful career in marketing?– Martin George, Waitrose – Martin George is a legend and a hell of a leader, in this webinar, we hear what a career in our industry has taught him about careers in marketing, the models that have been useful throughout, and getting buy in from the rest of the business on marketing activity
- How to be a great leader – Penny Ferguson, Living Leader & Catherine Newman, WWE – An amazin’ interview with Penny Ferguson and Catherine Newman – two people who have dedicated their lives to great leadership, whether that is in theory or practice.
If I wanted to do the marketing tactics thing better
- How to smash Linkedin – Pragya Mishra, SHIELD & Lea Turner, Coach – Two very well known, very lovely, very smart folks who happen to be great on Linkedin share their secrets 🙂
- How to stand out on social media in ‘boring’ industries – Richard Cook, Monzo – The most sign ups for any TMM talk of all time. Fantastic inspiration on how to build a brand and cut through on social.
- How to create much better briefs – BetterBriefs –The brief is an oft underestimated part of the marketing journey. Multiple Effie award winning marketers, Pieter-Paul and Matt, have explored this in depth and shared where we can do better
- Social first storytelling – Mike Blake Crawford – How can you tell better, more effective stories on social media? That’s what this talk was all about!
- How to turn followers into a community –Sophie Miller, Pretty Little Marketer – Sophie has amassed a huge following in the past few years, but, how does she turn that into a place with a genuine sense of community?
- How to build a scaleable, sustainable and always on content strategy– Purna Virji, Linkedin – With so much content to produce, how we create it in such a way to put a structure around things that make it easy for us to manage?
- Our writing approach for Linkedin– Dave Harland, Eddie Shelyner and Jo Watson – How do some of the world’s best copywriters approach writing for Linkedin?
- How to PPC like a pro – Anu Adegbola, Marin Software – In this talk, Anu shares how to master PPC
- What does relationship marketing really mean, and how can it impact your business?– Emma Honeybone, Engine Group – Relationship marketing is not something that comes into common conversations with marketing bods. So, what is it really, and how can we do it well? Emma Honeybone is the pro and discusses!
- How Ahrefs grew their website traffic to 1,500,000 organic views monthly (and how you can too) –Tim Soulo, Ahrefs – What is Ahrefs framework for growing their SEO traffic? In this session, we explored.
- How can you grow a market leading podcast? – Eve Young and Theo Watt, Social Chain – What are the processes and mindsets you need to set up a market leading podcast? Eve Young and Theo Watt, co-hosts of Social Minds, share with us in this brilliant session.
- How to build amazing email campaigns – David Hieatt, Hiut Denim – In this session, we unpack how David has built his success off the back of his email list and you can too.
- How to use market research to build great campaigns – Annabel Venner, Hiscox – In this talk, Annabel Venner shared how to use market research to create marketing campaigns that make sense and drive results.
- How to get press coverage and build links – Carrie Rose, Rise at Seven – How do you get press and build links? Enter Carrie Rose of Rise at Seven. In this energetic talk, she unpacks her process.
- How to build a community from scratch –Joe Glover, The Marketing Meetup – Community is a buzzword for marketers, and it will undoubtedly get stronger in 2023. So, with this in mind, how do you build one that has meaning?
- How to implement video content in to your marketing mix –Gary Gumbleton, Capital Content – What is the best way to work with a professional video agency, and how do you implement professional video into your marketing mix?
- How I grew my newsletter to 38,000 people in a year (and how you can do it too) – Harry Dry, Marketing Examples – May 2019. Harry wrote his first marketing article. A year and a half later his email list hit 38k. No ads. No connections. No existing audience. The newsletter grew because Harry learnt how to push my content round the internet. In this talk he explains the process.
- How to build an amazing personal brand –Ash Jones and Claudia Cardinali, Great Influence – A strong personal brand is something people say you need all the time, but rarely tell you how. That’s where Ash and Claudia come in.
- A Complete Guide to Creating AWESOME Optimised Landing Pages to Make People Come Back For More – Hannah Thorpe, Verkeer – Landing pages are the first impression of your website. Landing pages should be easy to read, simple, attractive, and have relevant keywords and Call To Actions. But that isn’t all.
- How to effectively grow and maintain strong communities on social media – Adam Barrie and Lee Wilcox, Electric House – Lee Wilcox and Adam Barrie of Electric House, develop and grow strong social media communities such as On the Tools and On a Budget. In this session, they share their tips for efficiently building engaged communities on social media.
- How to not get stuck in a performance marketing rut – Kris Tait, Croud – We have a problem in marketing. We’re spending our lives focusing on short term tactics, at the expense of long term results, strategy and measurement. How can we get out of this rut?
- Question and Answer with the Editor in Chief of Marketing Week, Russell Parsons – Russell Parsons, Marketing Week – We snuck in a few tactical questions on what really works on the PR front if you’re looking to be featured in Marketing Week.
- Getting the most from Linkedin – John Espirian – Linkedin is an unbelievable platform for marketers, but so many of us aren’t taking advantage of what is truly a golden age of the platform. John shares how you can get more from it.